[SPAM key] - Re: How many use old browsers (e.g. =< Netscape 4 or IE 6) as their ONLY source of web content?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 04:11:44 CDT 2015

On 3 July 2015 at 18:22, Jerome H. Fine <jhfinedp3k at compsys.to> wrote:
> I understand that Netscape has been replaced by Mozilla.  HOWEVER,
> since CHROME seems to be the most widely used, would CHROME
> be able to support the retention of ALL of my old e-mails and posts
> from usenet?  Over the past 15 years, I probably have accumulated
> over 100,000 e-mails and posts in about 130 folders!  So I would like
> an easy upgrade path which supports being able to view and modify those
> old e-mails and usenet posts.  Can CHROME support that?

Chrome is just a web browser. It does not do email at all.

However, the program that was called Netscape 6.x & 7.x is alive and
well. It was the "Mozilla Internet Suite" -- the final Netscape
releases were Mozilla, rebadged. As Mozilla Inc now focuses on
Firefox, the old Internet Suite was forked and is now called
SeaMonkey.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

SeaMonkey will run fine on Windows 7.

What you may have to do is this:

[1] Use an old version of Thunderbird (Mozilla's standalone email
client) to import your Netscape 7 profile. Details here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrate_from_Mozilla_Suite_or_Netscape_to_Thunderbird

[2] Use a newer version of Thunderbird to import the profile from old
Thunderbird:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_migration_-_SeaMonkey

This should import your entire Netscape profile and continue to work just fine.

However, in the first instance, copy your whole Netscape 7.2 profile
from the Win98 machine to your unused Win7 machine. Reinstall Netscape
7.2 on the new machine and check it works.

You can download it here:
http://sillydog.org/narchive/full67.php

Then install SeaMonkey. It *should* notice and import your profile.

It is very important to install Netscape *before* SeaMonkey.