Computing history at CERN - Re: what IBM system is this?

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 5 05:09:00 CDT 2015

I remember being taken on a tour around Atlas as part of my college course.
It must have been about 1967/8.

I went back to work at Harwell (RRD next door to Chilton or Rutherford
Labs as it was called)
  when I returned from Germany in 1971.

My job was to interface a PDP8/e to a triple axis neutron defractometer.
The 8/e only did data reduction and display.
I had already built a dedicated hardware system to do the positioning
and stepping.
The BF3 counter gave a signal proportion to amplitude and the stepping
controller the three position co-ordinates.
Result a 3D display of the scattered neutron pattern. What was it for?
Finding out the structure of crystals.

We also had a straight 8 doing data processsing.

Rod