Reviving a VAX-11/750

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 15:35:45 CDT 2015

Well. Despite all recent VAX-11/750 bashing it actually booted both VMS 6.1
and Ultrix-32 4.0 today. Yes, the gate arrays can be a problem. But until
now I haven't found one that is faulty. The problem is usually bad contact
in the sockets which can be solved easily by removing them and clean the
chip and socket with isopropanol. A DPM (L0002) board that failed the
microverify at %C,  passed straight away after that treatment.

The gate arrays themselves are ceramic chips which I think will keep up
many years if not abused. And since they are TTL and not MOS the likelihood
of damage due to static electricity is small.

BTW. The CPU of the 11/750 is contained on five extended HEX boards,
(L0002, L0003, L0004, L0008, L0011/L0016/L0022). Then there is the optional
RMD (L0006) module and possible MBA and extra unibus adapters.

I used a SCSI2SD card connected to a Emulex UC17 board.

A booting 750:

%%

@@

Patch Control Store is Present

Done loading Patch bits and PCS

Ultrixboot - V4.0  Sat Mar 31 04:11:56 EST 1990

Sizes:

text = 593304

data = 100864

bss  = 320516

Starting at 0x2d4d

ULTRIX V4.0 (Rev. 161) System #1: Thu May 20 23:26:51 GMT+0100 1976

real mem  = 8388608

avail mem = 5921792

using 204 buffers containing 838656 bytes of memory

VAX 11/750, hardware level = 0x8c, microcode level = 99

mcr0 (MS750) at address 0xf20000

uba0 at address 0xf30000

uda0 at uba0

uq0 at uda0 csr 172150 vec 774, ipl 15

ra1 at uq0 slave 1 (RA81)

ra0 at uq0 slave 0 (RA81)

WARNING: todr too small -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!

Sun Jun 20 23:35:50 GMT+0100 1976

Automatic reboot in progress...

/dev/ra0a: 596 files, 5592 used, 9959 free (143 frags, 1227 blocks, 0.9%
fragmentation)

/dev/rra0d: umounted cleanly

check quotas: done.

savecore: checking for dump...dump does not exist

local daemons: syslog sendmail.

Removing remnant Opser files

preserving editor files

clearing /tmp

standard daemons: update cron accounting network snmpd.

start errlog daemon - elcsd

Sun Jun 20 23:36:51 GMT+0100 1976

ULTRIX V4.0 (Rev. 161) (vax)

login: root

Password:

Last login: Sun Jun 20 23:35:25 on console

ULTRIX V4.0 (Rev. 161) System #1: Thu May 20 23:26:51 GMT+0100 1976

                Digital Equipment Corporation

                Nashua, New Hampshire

*** SOFTWARE INSTALLATION PROCEDURE COMPLETE ***

The following files were created during the installation procedure:

/vmunix                         - customized kernel

/genvmunix                      - generic kernel

/usr/adm/install.log            - installation log file

/usr/adm/install.FS.log         - file systems log file

/usr/adm/install.DEV.log        - special device log file