Tape Drive Capstans

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jan 29 17:18:17 CST 2015

On 01/29/2015 02:30 PM, Mike Stein wrote:

> Odd; the belts certainly stretch and often turn to goo, but I haven't
> run across any melting rollers or idlers in my piles of consumer audio
> and video stuff yet. Maybe just not old enough; I wonder if there's any
> way to prevent or at least delay the deterioration it if it hasn't
> started yet.

I've got two Nakamichi cassette decks; both are the same model.  One has
pinch rollers the consistency of modeling clay; the other is just fine.
   So mileage must certainly vary.

I tend to think it's the same story--the problem is chemical degradation
and you're not going to stop it by any simple means.

--Chuck