Destructive Imaging of DECTAPE II Media

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Wed Jan 28 02:05:27 CST 2015

> On Jan 27, 2015, at 23:24, Bob Rosenbloom <bobalan at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> Could you use an instrumentation recorder's cassette transport? Teac made cassette systems with 7 and 9 tracks. Ebay item 251372482082
> I believe is a 7 track assembly. Or look for one of their complete units MR-30, MR40 etc. Might be a good starting point for building up
> a reader. They are variable speed units also, with a wide range of speeds.

Ok, it looks like the top speed of a complete MR-30 is 38.1 cm/s, or 15 ips. That's half the speed of a normal TU-58, but maybe it's close enough to get a good signal? And maybe the mechanism can be driven faster? For $24 shipped, it's worth experimenting with, and if it works, then that solves most of the mechanical hurdles.

Thanks for the lead!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/