HP tape drive novel repair

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Jan 24 19:22:59 CST 2015

On 01/24/2015 04:43 PM, Jay West wrote:

> So long story short, I wasn't going to take that gorgeous smooth polished
> surface and replace it with bolts or screws. But for something that was
> pop-rivets, you betcha, I'd have gone that route.

I understand, I guess--but who's going to see it? ;)

You can get flush aluminum standard rivets--they're not terribly hard to 
set.  I've also got a few underlug flush-head screws (no slot), which, 
if you can get some, should preserve the exterior appearance.

FWIW, if you're looking at drilling the buggers start with a good center 
punch and a very small bit--and then drill that with a bit slightly 
smaller than the rivet shank only down as far as the head depth.  Then 
you'll be able to insert a rot of the same size and smartly snap the 
head off without affecting the original hole.

Musical instrument repair shops also have special tools for working 
dents and wrinkles out of brass.  They range from a "dent machine" that 
looks like an English wheel, with the wheel turned 90 degrees.  Small 
portable dent rollers, such as a "Fast Eddie" are also used.

Good luck!

More information about the cctalk mailing list