Maxtor XT-2190

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Sat Jan 24 16:07:51 CST 2015

FWIW, the Seagate ST-4096 apparently used an unused pin in the data cable to place the drive in a Recovery Mode where the step and direction lines would then be used to microstep around the then current track.  There are several unused or rarely used pins in the ST-506/412 interface that could have been repurposed to enable microstepping.  AFAIK, there was no standard.

Tom