Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Wed Jan 14 02:39:42 CST 2015

On 2015-01-14 05:38, Toby Thain wrote:
> On 13/01/15 11:01 PM, Zane Healy wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 13, 2015, at 3:40 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, it's been a long time project, but I'm happy to finally
>>> announce a more public initial release of TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS.
>>
>> <snip!>
>>
>>> I hope some people will find this useful/amusing. :-)
>>
>> I don't find it amusing, I find it amazingly cool!  This is fantastic
>> news!  The HTTP server and LPR client sound especially interesting.
>> Now we have a freely available TCP/IP stack for both RT-11 and
>> RSX-11M-PLUS.  I just wish there was one for RSTS/E, but as far as I
>> know, it has never even had a commercial stack.
>>
>> Zane
>>

> I agree, very impressive.
>
> You said that contributions are welcome, but the TCP/IP stack is binary
> - will you be open sourcing it at any point?

Well, my initial thinking was that there are so many tools, utilities,
daemons and clients waiting to be written, as well as improving on the
ones I've done, that I was hoping for contributions there.

The stack itself can also be improved, I'm sure. It's just way more
complex to modify, since that piece is device drivers in RSX. Any
changes there needs to be done understanding the whole environment of it.

But yes, I'm fine with getting the source to that part out too. But be
warned. It will not be easy to work on it. In addition, the built system
is less forgiving and less flexible. Can't promise that you'll be able
to even built it with some fiddling of your own.

I'll try and make a script to screate a source kit soon.

	Johnny