Bay Area: IBM 4341 and HP3000

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Tue Jan 13 21:45:26 CST 2015

On 1/13/2015 5:14 PM, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 10:42:04PM +0200, Johannes Thelen wrote:
>> I think these all Storage Hunters, Storage Wars and other Shit Collectors
>> "reality" TV series, is what to blame here: "What is is?" "Looks like old
>> door but it is just probably pile of shit!" "Man, you get AT LEAST 5000$
>> for it!"
> I'm not sure they are to blame, but they are kind of funny :-)
>
> I remember seeing one where one of the buyers I had considered "serious"
> up to then, picked up a 24-port 1U switch: "Oh, that's worth $100".  Um.
> A 10/100 switch.  And it's not 1999 anymore :-)
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but I think the only use for such a thing,
> is, "Throw it at the nearest Politician."
>
> mcl
FWIW the only Storage Wars show I've see anything computer related on,
they put a price on an ABC DB-25 switch of $5, and a network switch of $10.

The Storage Wars people seem to call around a lot to get appraisals

As with anything, this stuff will sit on the store shelves or in the
online inventory of the people on the SW shows and they will mark it
down if it doesn't sell.  Just like anything in a junk store.  They
aren't setting the prices for this stuff.  If anything they hopefully
make the point that some of the older stuff is worth more than just
metal scrap.

The Storage Hunters did damage, I think because they tried to wing it on
their own, and didn't get any input from someone.

I'm not sure how to get out the word about the other component of
collecting which is that this stuff won't survive being handled by Barry
(on Storage Wars) who tends to throw things from the back of the unit
into the hallway.  Heavier pieces in the Storage Hunters show I saw
where they mangled a nice DEC stash, they trashed the removable media,
which possibly was the most valuable thing in the unit.

Jim