Bay Area: IBM 4341 and HP3000

js at cimmeri.com js at cimmeri.com
Sun Jan 11 09:15:09 CST 2015

On 1/11/2015 4:50 AM, jim s wrote:

> I talked to him at length and got a little more on the story.  ...
> ... [snip]
> I'm willing to say that my impression of the guy is that he had very
> high expectations of what he had stored...

No wonder.   As a buyer, the worst thing you can do with any seller is
have a bunch of people calling up, expressing interest, and informing
the seller that he has special items and that there are special groups
of people out there who are interested.   Now the seller's beliefs in a
high value are confirmed.

It's far better for a potential buyer that the seller thinks he has junk
only a scrap dealer is interested in.  Scrap dealers don't pay diddly squat.

The more who call, the more the sellers hopes are raised.

Why people who have no actual capability of purchasing these items are
calling the seller up and taking up their time, is beyond me.  All you
do is raise the difficulty of negotiations for the actual guy who might
end up buying the items.

Any actual buyer is fully capable of getting all the answers they need
without your interference.

For the similar reasons, as a frequent buyer, it also highly annoys me
when systems on eBay or Craiglist are found and rebroadcasted here.
Now, my chance find has been made aware to a much wider audience, the
competition shoots way up, and I have to pay more.

Of course, there's sellers here too who benefit from the
rebroadcasting.  But I say, let them broadcast themselves.

- J.