Rich kids are into COBOL

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Feb 28 15:38:23 CST 2015

On 02/28/2015 03:35 AM, Peter Corlett wrote:

> It's a special-purpose language for mathematical manipulation. As such, it's
> not actually a very good choice for a first language.

My point was that arrays and matrices are an intrinsic part of the
language and somewhat unlike arrays in BASIC or FORTRAN, which are
heavily oriented toward scalars.

Neil Lincoln once told me that he trained his own children and wife to
program APL and they found it to be quite natural.

I'm certain that others can make similar claims about the suitability of
Lisp or its derivatives.

--Chuck