3.5" floppy failure mode? Hub not attched to media.

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 13:17:41 CST 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
To: <General at classiccmp.org>;
"Discussion at classiccmp.org:On-Topic and Off-Topic
Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2015 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: 3.5" floppy failure mode? Hub not
attched to media.

> On 02/28/2015 10:14 AM, Mike Stein wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that it actually stepped in and
>> out
>> during a rotation to follow the eccentricity?
>
> I'm saying that it's very unlikely that it did.
> The OEM manual makes no reference to such
> behavior.  So, getting on-track was likely a
> matter of reading an embedded servo mark or two,
> tweaking the "fine" stepper and signaling
> end-of-seek.
>
> --Chuck

----- Reply ----

No, I agree with you, Chuck; it seemed to be what
Eric was suggesting though.

BTW, I just tried gluing a cookie back to the hub
with superglue; no problem.

Couldn't read it of course, presumably because
it's not aligned to the index; also, maybe mine is
a different make from yours but the hub isn't
conical and there is a tiny bit of radial play.

So in that respect I have to agree with Eric that
reading data off a cookie that's been reattached
to the hub is a pretty iffy proposition, but if
anyone does succeed I'm sure we'd all love to read
about it.