Patching vs. new code (was Re: Pascal not considered harmful)

Michael Holley swtpc6800 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 00:21:11 CST 2015

In 1982 I was working at Data I/O, the PROM programmer company. Everything was written in assembler for the 6800. We had a cross assembler that ran on a PDP11, it was much faster than the Motorola EXORciser that used 8 inch floppy disks. We later updated to a VAX. On one project we had a firm code limit of 16K bytes, every week or so we would have to hand optimize our assembly language so we could keep adding the necessary features. We had about 20 bytes open when we were done.

I recall that the cross assembler was from a company named BSO.

Michael Holley