VT101 8085 CPU Fault

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Feb 23 17:31:45 CST 2015

    > From: Tothwolf

    > I've seen pushback from some people in the vintage computing community
    > to wholesale replacement of aluminum electrolytics which are long past
    > their life expectancy and I just don't get it.

Well, notice you didn't cause a big debate on the topic to break out here, as
we often get on some of these things (e.g. crimping versus soldering, etc).

My _guess_ is that vintage computer people aren't very 'religious' about it,
and to the extent that they _don't_ do it, it's as much because they don't
have the parts on hand (or the ability to find them easily), plus the work
involved, as anything else.

For those of us who are basically software people (or even pure digital),
this stuff can be a little daunting - not necessarily because it's actually
hard, it's just out of our comfort zone. I myself am certainly daunted by the
concept of replacing every electrolytic in all the power supplies of all the
vintage -11's I've got... (And I don't want to even think about all the filter
caps on all the boards! :-)

Maybe you (or someone) should offer a service... I'd sign up! :-)

	Noel