HP 21MX Ethernet/SCSI card?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Feb 21 07:53:35 CST 2015

> On Feb 21, 2015, at 3:56 AM, Johannes Thelen <johannesthelen at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Mystery have solved!
>
> I traced down receive & transmit pins from RJ45 and scoped little bit. I found one pin bursting 9600baud data couple seconds intervals and I connected this to terminal. Here's result at start up:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_DR111cK6W-LTZqeWt2QzlRRU0/view?usp=sharing
>
> *************************************************'
> SCSI INTERFACE FOR HP-1000.  GRUMMAN 1995.
>   Module: START; Version: 5.60
> Test Group 1: EPROM CHECKSUM TEST - PASSED
> Test Group 2: GLUE LOGIC TEST - Test #5 - PASSED
> Test Group 3: RAM ADDRESSING TEST - Test #5 - PASSED
> Test Group 4: SCSI CONTROLLER TEST - Test #8 - PASSED
> Test Group 5: RAM DATA RETENTION TEST - Test #2 - PASSED
>
> Test Group 6: WINCHESTER (FIXED) DISK TEST
>
> Device init routine - ** FAILED **
>
> NCR register: 21 Expected data: 01 Actual data: 00

> So Grumman made this board. Chip dates was right, very late design for this old computer. Pretty cool!

For years Grumman made it its business to buy up older computer lines that
had some small amount of life in them and support them for as long as it could
extract support contract payment out of the users. Without doing any development
work at all, with only very limited bug fixes (at least that’s my experience with
Solbourne). The timeframe is about right.

Warner