Pascal not considered harmful - was Re: Rich kids are into COBOL

Mark Green markwgreen at rogers.com
Thu Feb 19 20:33:12 CST 2015

I started using Pascal on CDC 6000 series machines.  At that point in time
the other languages that were widely available on CDC hardware were Fortran
and assembler.  Within a year or so we dropped assembler as our main systems
language and switched to Pascal.  Pretty much everything we could do in
assembler we could do in Pascal in fewer lines of source code.  Writing
efficient assembler on CDC machines was not particularly easy and the Pascal
compiler generated fairly good code, so we saw little performance
difference.

With the mixture of 6 bit and 12 bit character codes (plus a few others)
along with the bizarre end of line conventions, Pascal code tended to be
easier to understand and maintain than assembler.

Wirth had a pretty good understanding of the CDC architecture having written
several compilers for it before Pascal.  Pascal was tuned to that
architecture and the CDC operating systems.  Some of the features that
people not used to CDC machines find strange were aimed at the shortcomings
of the CDC machines.  In many ways Pascal on the CDC machines was similar to
C on PDP11s.  I worked on both for several years and found switching back
and forth to be relatively easy.

On the CDC machines Pascal was far from academic and useless, particularly
in practice.  You need to understand the machine architecture and system
environment where a language was developed to judge whether it was practical
or not.