Pascal not considered harmful - was Re: Rich kids are into COBOL

Sean Conner spc at conman.org
Thu Feb 19 19:35:06 CST 2015

It was thus said that the Great Eric Smith once stated:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 1:15 PM, ben <bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:
> > I never could figure out the point of Objects.
>
> The point of objects is to support data abstraction by disallowing any
> old random code in a large system from directly manipulating the
> innards of the objects, and instead require that to be done by methods
> declared to be part of the object.
>
> > Every data type is different.
>
> If that weren't true, you'd only need one kind of object.
>
> Perhaps what you're questioning is inheritance, which is useful but
> isn't necessarily a required feature of objects. Inheritance is based
> on the idea that while two types aren't identical, they may have
> similarities. As a trivial example, integers and floats are different
> data types, but they both support arithmetic.

  Perhaps a better example would be a serial port device class [1], which
inherits behavior from a character device class, which inherits behavior
from the device class.

  -spc (But I've never found object oriented programming all that compelling
	myself ... )

[1]	A class is the definition of an object.  Or in other words, an
	object is an instantiated (created) class.