Pascal not considered harmful - was Re: Rich kids are into COBOL

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 12:07:25 CST 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Dale H. Cook <radiotest at juno.com> wrote:
> At 12:44 PM 2/19/2015, Fred Cisin wrote:
>
>>Or, cheap and usable integrated development environment.
>
> I think Fred has nailed it. AFAIK Turbo Pascal had the first integrated development environment among CP/M software development systems.

I know the guy I worked with in 1987 loved the IDE.  He was one of
those "what do you mean there are different programs to edit, compile,
link, and run?!?" guys.

I got my start with banging hex into TIM then moved up to a 4K in-ROM
line-at-a-time assembler, _then_ got a disk drive and an
editor/assembler environment.  Game programming that took over the
machine meant a reset/reboot every code cycle, so an IDE doesn't
really fit into that environment.

-ethan