Pascal not considered harmful - was Re: Rich kids are into COBOL

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Feb 19 11:44:29 CST 2015

> Was it the sheer will power and marketing of Borland, or was
> it the volume of developers who didn't need intensive low-level I/O?

Or,
cheap and usable integrated development environment.
My students tended to be intimidated by EDIT, COMPILE, and LINK as three
separate programs to run from the prompt.

'course then I had to remind them an awful lot of times that the
assignment required SAVING a source file (and it had to be the final
version, not an earlier draft) and create an executable file on their
disk, not just test run it in the IDE.  I even made them print out the
relevant portion of the directory, and kicked back a lot of submissions
where the executable file and source file did not have appropriate
sequence.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com