Pascal not considered harmful - was Re: Rich kids are into COBOL

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Feb 19 10:40:23 CST 2015

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, John Foust wrote:

> Was it the sheer will power and marketing of Borland, or was
> it the volume of developers who didn't need intensive low-level I/O?

I suspect it was Borland's extensions to Pascal that removed any
limitation in I/O.

I think people confuse Turbo Pascal with "standard" Pascal.  Turbo brought
a LOT to the table that you simply coudln't do with a standardized Pascal
compiler.  Borland never quit tweaking the language - Object Pascal hit
with the 5.5 release of Turbo Pascal and that was improved upon even
further with the 6.0 and 7.0 releases.  When Delphi hit the market in
1995, it really blew people away.  Had Borland's management not run the
company into the ground, Delphi would be a lot more popular than it is
today.  Fortunately they used their last functioning brain cell to spin
their developer tools off to CodeGear in 2007.  Embarcadero purchased them
a while after that and have continued to improve upon the product - both
Delphi and C++ Builder.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007