Pascal not considered harmful - was Re: Rich kids are into COBOL

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Wed Feb 18 16:41:15 CST 2015

On 18/02/15 1:16 AM, emu at e-bbes.com wrote:
> Zitat von Eric Smith <spacewar at gmail.com>:
>
>> Without getting into the merits of Pascal as a programming language,
>> Turbo Pascal was at that time the best programming environment I'd
>> used, and (with apologies to C.A.R. Hoare) an improvement not only
>> over its predecessors but also over many of its successors.  The
>
> Finally somebody who liked Pascal ;-)
> I enojoyed playing with Pascal/Modula etc.

Pascal is somewhat under-rated (not to mention a litle ahead of its
time, as it turns out). Maybe this is because, like Lisp, those who
snark about it are too young to have used it :-)

Apart from anything else, it was the best-supported application and
systems programming language for Macintosh until the mid-1990s.

--Toby