Rich kids are into COBOL

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 12:46:26 CST 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> My stars and garters--I just noticed the following article posted back in
> September that college students learning COBOL make more money:
>
> http://readwrite.com/2014/09/17/cobol-programming-language-hot-or-not

I've sat on the Industry Advisory Council a few times for our local
DeVry Institute campus... every year, they ask, "should we still teach
COBOL?"  Every year, Motorist Insurance, Grange Insurance, Nationwide
Insurance, and JPM Chase say, "send us more people who know COBOL."  A
few years ago, every graduate took 4 courses in COBOL.  Now, they all
still take one, and if you are on the "Enterprise" (mainframe) track,
you still take the full series.

And they pretty much all get hired, if that's what they want to do.
The companies all expect 1-2 years of additional training, but at
least they aren't starting new hires from scratch.

-ethan