Multi-node BBS'

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Tue Feb 17 08:44:07 CST 2015

Gary's pulling up a BBS pushed me onto a wave of nostalgia so I've been
digging through my old DOS archives of BBS software and the like that I
picked up years ago and I came to a question.

How did people set up multi-node BBS' back in the day?

I know you could run something like Desqview and run multiple copies on a
single system, and some BBS' (like TBBS) had built-in multitasking so it
handled multiple modems. And, of course, you could get fancy and run a
Novell network. Were there other ways of doing this?

I also saw a random mention of multi-node Commodore BBS'. Given Commodores
didn't network or multi-task, I'm curious if the author of the note was
mistaken, or if such things existed -- and then how did they work?

My thanks for helping with my flashback;

 - JP