DEC MKA11 and/or M8261/M8163

Paul Birkel pbirkel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 12:50:02 CST 2015

So ... I should have stretched my mind a bit more in the space of "stuff
like an 11/70 but which is not an 11/70 ...".  Encountering even a bit of
an 11/74 was simply not something that I ever considered.  Thanks for the
pointer Johnny!

Looking at the preliminary Docs, Figure 1-1, where a two-processor
configuration is laid out, with two MKA11, it appears that they have their
ports cross-wired and then driven from a panel-control of some sort.  So
there's 6-bits for MK0A/MK1A, and then a separate 6-bits for MK0B/MK1B (see
earlier response to Eric about the connector arrangements).  Not at all
clear to me how that wiring relates to the description in 1.4.2.  Need to
think about this some more ...

It seems then that the Field Guide has both of these modules mis-assigned,
and the second misnamed.

I wonder if the relationship between the M8163 and M8164 is an either/or
and they go into the same slot given that Table 1-1 mentions only a single
Multiport Multiplexor (M8162) and the naming in Table 1-3 for the M8163 is
"Single Port Jumper Card"?  I guess that's what you're thinking as well.

What is the purpose of the "panel" Port Controllers, given that they seem
to be not connected to any control signals from the CPU? (Figure 1-1)

Does the "T" in the symbology in the Figure perhaps indicate "Terminator"?
If so, that seems to suggest that the signaling is out one control, into
the second and then off "through" a terminator to the panel Port Control?

Honestly, Figure 1-1 doesn't look to me like a shared-memory arrangement
... so I'm probably misinterpreting some of those lines at the moment.

Thanks for all of the additional clues and pointers guys!