building my own relay computer

Cory Heisterkamp coryheisterkamp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 19:25:28 CST 2015

Ben,

I'm planning on 8-bit paper tape for I/O, but I was in touch with a gentleman from Brazil a few months ago that designed his architecture around 5-bit words. This allowed him to use the Baudot code and make use of teletype equipment that can still be found without too much difficulty. 8-bit ASR-33s are worth their weight in gold these days, but the 5-bit model 32 (or a 28 and tape peripherals) is much more reasonable. -C