Microdata disk/tape images

Armin Diehl ad at ardiehl.de
Fri Feb 13 07:12:00 CST 2015

On 02/08/2015 01:00 AM, jwsmobile wrote:

> On 2/7/2015 3:51 AM, Armin Diehl wrote:
>> On 02/05/2015 10:19 PM, Ian McLaughlin wrote:
>>> Long shot, but does anyone know of any available disk/tape/paper
>>> tape/ROM images for any of the Microdata machines (800/1600) or the
>>> relatives (Intertechnique Multi-8/Multi-4, MAI Basic Four BB-II)?
>>>
>>> There’s a bit of documentation available - Bitsavers has a bit, and
>>> I have some MAI documentation that I’m in the process of scanning.
>>> I’m toying with the idea of emulating this machine, but I’m having
>>> difficulty locating any software for it.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Ian
>> Not exactly that, however, i may have something for BB-IV but i think
>> these ones used cpu's developed by basic four. I have one 14"
>> harddisk from a model 210 as well as a disk pack for a basic four
>> 510, both should be bootable. I have the machines/drives as well but
>> not yet tried to fire them up. The 210 came with a tape 1/4" drive
>> but i dont have any tapes.
>>
>> I also thought about writing an emulator but i have not yet found the
>> manuals for the cpus used (1300 CPU Technical Manual / M1300 Series
>> CPU Organisation and Description Reference Manual). I have scanned
>> the available documentation and it is saved at Al's bitsaves site
>> (pdf/mai/).
>>
>> The 210: http://www.ardiehl.de/basicfour/mai210/pics/small/index.html
>> The 510: http://www.ardiehl.de/basicfour/mai510/pics/small/
> These are very nice photos.  Both of your systems appear to be on the
> Microdata form factor, and if you were to look at the edge card
> connector, it is probably a 130 pin (65 x 2) connector.74181 ALU
> chips.  I see a lot of what appears to be the scale logic that a 1600
> type CPU or an advanced design could use on that the boards your
> photographed.
>
> Also the of the 4 switches are they all dual position, or are some
> momentary?  i believe that Basic 4 in this series of system kept the 4
> sense switches of the 1600 in their hardware with similar functions
> across all variations.

I have added some more pictures showing the cpu boards of both systems.
The switches are documented there as well.

http://www.ardiehl.de/basicfour/cpu/small/index.html

> The QIC drives were emerging in the late 70's and early 80's as a
> storage media, but in the era of the original blue systems with
> Microdata CPUs they were not around.
>
> Very nice systems.
>
> I don't know how much Century Trident info I have to offer, but I may
> have documents if Bitsavers does not.  I just got a stash of
> documentation which comes from the direction of Pick Systems
> documentation.  They used the 80, 100 and I think 200mb Tridents for
> their Evolution systems.
The document for the basic four 2460 contains the T80 service manual.
There are already other documents available on bitsavers.
(http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/centuryData/) Do you
have additional ones ?