imitation game movie

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Feb 12 07:42:25 CST 2015

    > From: Chuck Guzis

    > Any more so, than, say, William Gardner Pfann?

Another name I didn't recognize - I knew there was someone who did zone
refining, and that it was critical, but didn't know the name.

    > From: Jon Elson

    > The XX system??  What's that?

You likely already know of this, just not under this name; here:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-Cross_System

Briefly, during WWII, the British ran the entire German espionage system in
the UK; initially, only for counter-intelligence purposes, but later on, to
actively feed the Germans disinformation.

    > Another really great story is the X gerat, (X equipment in English)
    > that sent narrow, high frequency radio beams over England.

For anyone who hasn't read it, I highly recommend R. V. Jones' book, "The
Wizard War" - it covers all the various navigation systems (on both sides),
and much more. I can also recommend "The Secret War", by Brian Johnson (the
companion book to a BBC series), which covers that, radar, the V-weapons,
code-breaking, and much more.

    > From: Johnny Billquist

    >> stored-program (in the sense of 'one memory holds both instructions
    >> and data')

    > What do you mean by "stored program" then?

	Noel