imitation game movie

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Feb 9 23:21:30 CST 2015

Forgive me if I missed earlier discussion, but has anybody
seen the
Imitation Game movie, ostensibly about Alan Turing?

There certainly were some real howlers in there, like the
bit where Turing
single handedly decides what info they would share with the
British
government, so as not to alert the Nazis that the Enigma
code was
broken!

Also, there is only one instance of the Bombe, while it is
pretty well
known they had a set of 350 of them at Ft. Meade running 24
hours
a day.  And those were the NCR Bombes, running at 1800 RPM,
insted
of the one in the movie going clunk-clunk-clunk.  Some other
papers
seem to indicate there were another 350 Bombes at Bletchley.
It only makes sense for there to be a big array of NCR
Bombes, not
the slow British-built ones, but
with all the ships being sunk, how could they be sure such a
shipment
could make it across the Atlantic?  These things were
critical national
resources, so I just can't image the US shipped a batch of
them to
Britain.  (Also, there is the security issue of how to keep
prying eyes
off the Bombes while being shipped.)

Also, they have Turing building the Bombe with his own
hands. Various
descriptions have hundreds of people at Bletchley wiring the
rotors and
doing much of the other work.  The Bombe parts must have
been made
in machine shops across England.

At the end of the movie, they sort of imply by a confusing
flashback that
Turing tells the whole story of the code cracking work at
Bletchley to
the police officer.  It is well documented that he never
revealed anything
to anybody about what he did there.

Any comments?

Jon