New BBS in Maryland

Chris Osborn fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Mon Feb 9 14:17:36 CST 2015

On Feb 9, 2015, at 11:17 AM, Geoff Oltmans <oltmansg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2015, at 7:28 PM, Chris Osborn <fozztexx at fozztexx.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a standing challenge on the RetroBattlestations community (retrobattlestations.com) that if someone can demonstrate getting a modem to work through a cell phone I’ll send them an entire set of retro stickers. http://imgur.com/a/iAS5T
>
> Some cell phones will actually present to the computer when connected USB as a dial up modem. In the past I was able to connect at 14.4kbps with one.  It has been a while though.

Yes, I used to do that with my StarTac. The cell phone would respond to ATA commands and then use a modem at the telephone company to do the dialing. But using a cell phone *as* a modem doesn’t count towards the challenge of using a modem *through* a cell phone. ;-)

--
Follow me on twitter: @FozzTexx
Check out my blog: http://insentricity.com