Incandescent lights

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Feb 6 11:35:02 CST 2015

On 02/06/2015 10:15 AM, js at cimmeri.com wrote:

> Very interesting -- how did you build a retrofit for a 48"
> T12?
>
> - J.

OK, here's a bad picture of my first retrofit, 10 Cree 1W
lamps and a home-made power
supply.  The fluorescent tube retrofits are made on strips
of 2" wide PC board material.
I have some left over from an old project, so cut it into 2"
strips 22" long.  I cut
little grooves in the copper to make 11 2 x 2" squares, and
check with a meter that
they are isolated.  I then solder 10 Cree
XPEBWT-01-0000-00CC2 LEDs across the
grooves.  Then, I solder a pair of these strips in series to
make a 20 LED string.
I need to make a picture of this next time I'm in there, or
make another unit
(which is on the to-do list).

I use an LED Supply LED25W-72-C0350 power supply from
Digi-Key to power
it.  These units have been running in a flush drop-ceiling
fixture for almost a year
now, and are still doing very well.  The 10-LED job has been
running almost
2 years, now.

These things are NOT cheap, but I'm expecting to get better
life than most
of the commercial units, which I think have crummy thermal
design. I think
they work out well.

Jon