Incandescent lights [Re: It's time to restore the 11/45.]

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Feb 6 11:09:50 CST 2015

On 02/06/2015 01:05 AM, Peter Corlett wrote:
> LED lighting is actually delivering what the CFLs falsely
> claimed, provided one doesn't need more than about 400lm
> per bulb due to heat issues. For the customary single bulb
> per room in typical UK lighting, it means we're stuck with
> CFLs until the technology improves or one replaces the
> light fitting with one that takes multiple bulbs. We'll
> probably see a whole load of crappy LED bulbs when that
> finally becomes mainstream though.
Yes, my home-made LED retrofits are 44" long, made on two
strips of 22" x 2"
PCB material, as a heat sink.  They still run somewhat warm,
but probably
no more than 50 C.  I think they will last a LONG time.

These LEDs are rated at 102 Lm/W, so the efficiency is
insanely high.
20 W of LEDs easily outshines TWO 48" fluorescent tubes.

Jon