Incandescent lights [Re: It's time to restore the 11/45.]

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Feb 5 10:10:20 CST 2015

> Personally, I worry a bit about LED lamps supplanting the
> incandescents.

Me too - though for a different reason: a (tungsten) incandescent bulb
is an extremely useful thing when working on small appliances.  Hook it
up in series with the mains and shorts in the appliance (a) don't do
any damage and (b) are obvious when the bulb goes full brightness.  (Of
course, the bulb has to be sized appropriately for the appliance's
normal draw; a 50W bulb will false-positive when testing an iron. :-)

And then there are people who use them as heating elements in (eg)
wood-drying kilns.  And I'm sure there are plenty of other applications
I haven't heard/thought of.

Perhaps fortunately, it appears that here, at least, incandescents
aren't completely banned, just vanilla 100W ones.  (I am, though,
somewhat worried about this being the camel's nose.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org