10 forgotten wonders of 1980s homes

Geoff Oltmans oltmansg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 07:27:15 CST 2015

Sent from my iPhone
> On Dec 30, 2015, at 7:06 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
>
> Talking with the techs working on the DSLAM near my house, this summer, all said it was still ATM--and much of what went into the DSLAM was brand new.  So someone is still making ATM gear.

Not saying they don't know what they are talking about, but if it's brand new equipment, particularly vdsl then I find that hard to believe from what I've been exposed to. Vdsl does fallback to adsl mode for adsl modems in which case the dslam has to have an ATM interworking function, but the uplink to the dslam would still be Ethernet, fiber or copper.

Did you happen to get a peek in the cabinet?