10 forgotten wonders of 1980s homes

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Wed Dec 30 06:46:50 CST 2015

> On 30 Dec 2015, at 11:58, Ian S. King <isking at uw.edu> wrote:

> But it is intriguing to see the computer as pop-culture artifact within a
> broader grouping of like artifacts.  (You're welcome, Jay.) In my academic
> work, I use the term 'consumer computer' rather than 'personal computer'
> because the latter term is so overloaded and controversial.

Great terminology. Can I have permission to use it too :-)

> I do have to say, though, that in the '80s many if not most phones had
> transitioned to touch-tone 'dialing' (what a delightfully archaic term!).
> Nit picked.  — Ian

Not in Australia where the article was written. Government regulations meant that phones still had dials and modems were both hard to get and very expensive.

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"