Design tools Was: Mystery IC: Allen Bradley 314B102

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Dec 18 18:19:21 CST 2015

On 12/18/2015 02:38 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> Dave Bridgham got me started with KiCAD, and that seems like a pretty
> good system to me. It has separate sub-systems for schematic capture;
> circuitry checking; netlist generation; PCB layout; etc, etc. I've
> only worked with the first three, but it seemed pretty good for
> them.

KiCAD isn't bad; I used to use Eagle a lot, which was also pretty good.
  Before that was OrCAD, and before that, Schema--and before that, a
plastic template and a pencil.

If you join the "OldDOSOrcad" Yahoo group, I think they've got a copy of
OrCAD and additional files if you find yourself pining for the old stuff.

Schematics have changed a lot in my experience.  There was a time when
drawing wires was important; a lot of schematics today look more like
pin lists then a circuit diagram.  Times change.

--Chuck