Re-inking printer ribbons

Jason Howe jason at smbfc.net
Fri Dec 18 09:52:12 CST 2015

On 12/14/2015 04:28 PM, Mike wrote:

> On 12/14/2015 08:13 PM, Jason Howe wrote:
>> On 12/13/2015 10:17 AM, william degnan wrote:
>>> I have found that most vintage ribbons can be replaced with new
>>> ribbons for
>>> new devices.  Worst case you may find the right width but you'll have to
>>> re-thread to fit the vintage spindle.  Just have to match the width.
>>>
>>> I recently bought new ribbons for Decwriter II and TI Omni 810
>>> without any
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>> I'm having this issue right now with a Panasonic printer.  The black
>> ink ribbons are still a dime/dozen. The 4-color ribbons are NLA from
>> Panasonic and finding them is proving to get quite difficult.
>>
>> I'd be more than happy to re-thread a cartridge, but where does one
>> find CMYK  1 inch fabric ribbon?
>>
>> -Jason
>
> Jason,
>
>     Is it cheaper to do it that way luckily I got 40 new ribbon cartrages
> with my C-64 purchase.. Do they have screws or are they hot glued
> together?
They are, of course, glued together...  I actually (finally) found a
vendor online selling these new.  He said that while Panasonic has
discontinued production, a Chinese company has picked it up.  I ordered
2 at $25/each (ouch!).   We'll see when they get here. Regardless, if I
can find a source for 1 inch CMYK ribbon stock I'll have a few carts to
mess around with.

--Jason