VAX 4000-500 PSU Overload?

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 15 14:38:19 CST 2015

Tonight I replaced the leaking capacitors on the +12V/-12V board, and also
replaced the two similar ones that looked and measured fine. I put the PSU
back together, put in a couple of less important boards and drives, and the
machine now seems to power on OK. I measured the ripple using the power
connector for the front panel and that looks OK too. Unfortunately though,
that connector only sends out +12V, +5V and -12V. It does not have output
for +3.3V, so I have not, so far, been able to check the ripple for this. It
is a bit awkward to test on the bench with a dummy load.

As I did not replace the capacitors on the +5V/3.3V board, because the
underside is very hard to access, and I am reluctant to pull them off and
solder from above, I would like to be sure there is no ripple on the 3.3V
supply. So, I was wondering if anyone has any neat tricks for probing the
+3.3V supply with the PSU installed in the machine?

Next job is to replace the capacitors on the little DSSI terminator, they
are easy to change.

Thanks

Rob