What did computers without screens do?

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 15 03:39:18 CST 2015

On 15/12/2015 00:31, Mike wrote:

> On 12/14/2015 08:21 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> On 12/14/2015 03:53 PM, Jay West wrote:
>>
>>> In any case... early computers without screens weren't necessarily so
>>> "early" in the scheme of things, and often did process control and
>>> test & measurement :)
>> The IBM 1710 didn't have a screen; neither did the 1800.
>>
>> Personally, I think the world is GUI-addicted.
>>
>> --Chuck
>>
> Chuck If I may ask...
>

>    What would you do with a home no screen computer? I mean what could be
> done with one that would benefit your work / hobby. I mean NO DISREPECT
> by asking this question.
I started with computers around 1964. It depends what you define as a
screen.
 From the first UK computer (U of M circa 1948) many systems had screens.
They were oscilloscope tube based. The first one's I know of showed a
line of dots
Dot present = 1 No dot =0 they were probably register displays.

So right away you are into binary. Its the underlying foundation of all
digital computers.
Lamps and switches are all you need for binary and boy is binary useful!!

Analog computers are interesting but you really need degree level maths
to get the best out of them.

Rod Smallwood