Display-less computing was Re: TOP POSTING

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Dec 13 12:42:37 CST 2015

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Jon Elson wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this was a joke based on the meaning of the word interpreter.
> If he could have actually run an arbitrary COBOL program, with named
> variables and conditional branching on a plugboard-based accounting machine,
> I think IBM would have been VERY interested in hiring him!  (Or possibly
> having him dumped in a nearby body of water with concrete overshoes.)

Folded, spindled, stapled, and mutilated!

It would probably take a larger plugboard to turn a machine for printing
card contents on them into a language processor.

The reason that Jonathan Swift is cataloged with children's books instead
of prose satire, and why Douglas Adams never succeeded is because they
didn't choose the right emoticons for their works.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com