Display-less computing was Re: TOP POSTING

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Dec 12 19:08:15 CST 2015

notice the "emoticon" at the end of my original post.  I was trying to
convey knowledge of the misinterpretation, and the humor of it.

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Charles Anthony wrote:
> The plug board could control which columns of the punch card appeared in
> which columns of the printout; it served as a simple FORMAT program. The
> COBOL interpreter plugboard rearranged the COBOL source on the punch card
> to a more readable style on the printer.

Exactly.
That's why there was a plug-board kept around on a shelf preprogrammed for
the desired formatting for COBOL programs.
However, being for an "INTERPRETER", not a "407 ACCOUNTING MACHINE" (used
for generating printouts from decks of cards), the plug-board controlled
the column positions where the material was printed on the card, not
printout.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com