Display-less computing

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Dec 12 15:26:23 CST 2015

On 12/12/2015 11:17 AM, William Donzelli wrote:
>> Sometime later, maybe around 1971 they got some IBM 2741 terminals which
>> were Selectric typewriters connected to an interface.  Later they got some
>> IBM 2260's, which were Zenith 9" TV sets and a keyboard connected to an
>> interface box in the machine room.  Very primitive, but very interactive,
>> great for quick program editing and submission.
> Were 2260s really Zenith products inside? I certainly could believe
> it, judging from the tube lineup. Someday I would like to see one up
> close and personal.

Yes, they were hideous hacks of a cheap TV set.  The VHF
tuner was still in there, as it was needed to complete the
series filament chain.  They had 5 tubes in series, with
26-volt filaments, running off 120 V AC.  I'm PRETTY sure
the brand was Zenith, but this is from about a 43-year old
memory of pulling the cover off one.  All it had was a
keypunch-style keyboard and the TV, all the electronics were
in the machine room.

Jon