IDE knowledge anyone?

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Fri Dec 11 15:26:09 CST 2015

Oliver Lehmann <lehmann at ans-netz.de> wrote:

> Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2015 12:04 PM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>>
>>> This is the question... what is the "correct data"? Would I be able
>>> to see the cyl/sector/head information I've set before in that
>>> buffer? I didn't understand what the sector buffer really is by
>>> reading the docs.
>>
>> Well, ideally, this contains the data of the last sector
>> transferred. It provides a sanity check on the data transfer path.
>>
>> So you should be able to do a "read sector buffer" after the
>> aborted "read sector" and get some clue.

I now tried something different. I issued a "format track command" and
sent 512 bytes afterwards as described in the ata spec. The drive does
not respond with an error, and when I read the sector buffer right
afterwards, it contains the exact data I transfered after I issued the
format track command.