Best 200 buck I have ever spent!!! Deal of a lifetime!!!

Zane Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Dec 10 22:57:40 CST 2015

> On Dec 10, 2015, at 4:13 PM, drlegendre . <drlegendre at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:55 AM, Mike <tulsamike3434 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> The only thing I’ve done in ages that’s even remotely Classic Computer
>> related is to start working on learning how to program my Atari 2600.
>>>
>>> Zane
>>>

>> That sounds interesting How is that even done? I know there was a Atari
>> cart they came out with is that what your talking about?
>>

> These days it's all done on an emulator.. =)
>
> But yes, there are methods (even from the classic era) to load arbitrary
> code into the 2600 using a proprietary cartridge and a cassette tape
> machine. In essence, the special cart has a small bootstrap ROM that loads
> the software from the cassette into an internal (to the cart) RAM space
> which is then banked in as if it were a real 2600 cart ROM.
>
> Of course, the software is still limited to the hardware resources of the
> 2600.. the cart just emulates a plug-in ROM.
>
> So did this post properly? If not, I don't know how else to do it!

I’ve done embarrassingly little so far.  The equivalent of “Hello, World”.  I have a development environment setup on my Mac Pro, and I have a cart that lets me copy my ROM images to an SD card and plug them into my Atari 2600 for testing on real hardware.  My primary challenge is finding time to learn to program it.

Then again, I have some Photography projects that are a higher priority that have the exact same problem.

Zane