IDE knowledge anyone?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Dec 10 14:57:47 CST 2015

On 12/10/2015 12:21 PM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> right - This is what I do in the code - I was writing "from memory".

Just going by what you write...BTW, what are you using as a reference?
Seagate still has a lot of interesting stuff on their ftp.

> OK - good to know. I only tested ranges 260MB - 80GB. Guess I'll
> just not support it then?! How is it different regarding setting the
> registers? But anyway... The host computer only supports 32bit
> adressing of 512Byte Blocks. And I guess I could also use 500GB IDE
> disks when using only lets say some hundrets of MB (plenty enough -
> the original harddisk in the system had about 54MB)

PATA-6 is sort of a kludge supported by double-writing (MSB first) to
each of the address registers without any intervening access to any
other register.  Intel employs this sort of thing on their older 8-bit
peripheral support chips.

ABRT set in the error register basically indicates that the drive  isn't
ready or that there's something wrong with the command.  You may want to
insert some debug code that displays exactly what's being written to the
drive registers.

--Chuck