Open FPGAs? - was Re: Project Oberon and OberonStation (resend)

Tor Arntsen tor at spacetec.no
Sun Dec 6 09:39:01 CST 2015

On 24 November 2015 at 22:42, Mouse <mouse at rodents-montreal.org> wrote:

> What I was really interested in was whether the FPGA itself was open.
> If so, I definitely would have wanted to pick up the hardware, because
> I would love to experiment with an FPGA - but I am _not_ going to put
> up with running a vendor binary blob (which probably won't even run on
> my machines) to get an undocumented blob to throw at the hardware.

I don't think that exists, or if it does it must be pretty obscure.
Certainly not Altera, Xilinx (which is used for OberonStation) or
Lattice, and I doubt Microsemi, Actel, or any of the smaller
commercial FPGA vendors have open FPGAs, or even open tools.

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail and any attachment contain KONGSBERG information which may be
proprietary, confidential or subject to export regulations, and is only meant
for the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use is
prohibited, if not otherwise explicitly agreed with KONGSBERG. If received in
error, please delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender
properly.