De-yellowing results

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Fri Aug 28 15:42:20 CDT 2015

On 28/08/2015 20:36, Geoffrey Oltmans wrote:

> Yes, in my case I did it in a mostly dark room with a small UV light (that
> I use for erasing EEPROMS), so it didn't get a full sun treatment, but it
> did take the better part of a week. And, as you say, I had problems with
> keys constantly wanting to float away. I figure next time I try it I may
> get some silly putty to put in the underside to weigh them down or
> something.

Well, here's an idea for some over-engineering:  how about one of the
tumblers that rock collectors use for polishing small stones, or
handloader use for cleaning brass.  Make a new cylinder from thin
perspex (it doesn't completely block UVA or UVB) or a large-diameter
glass tube and mount a small UV tube above it.  That should ensure that
not only does every surface get covered, but also exposed to the UV.

Or put all the keytops in a small bucket, and put a small aquarium pump
(something like a Micro-Jet MC320) in the bottom.  The flow should keep
everything circulating and tumbling.

--
Pete

Pete Turnbull