A tale of woe, including carelessness, stupidity and laziness....

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Fri Aug 28 09:20:23 CDT 2015

On 2015-08-28 14:56, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Aug 27, 2015, at 7:13 PM, Michael Thompson <michael.99.thompson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In any case, RP06s use three phase power.  The issue wasn't the power in
>>> this particular story, but rather the ground wire (the green "protective
>>> ground" that isn't supposed to carry current at all under normal operation).
>>
>> Not exactly true. RP06 drives are typically connected to 3-phase power, but
>> only use two of the three phases. I have and RP06 running at home on
>> 110/220VAC 2-phase.
>
> That's interesting.  I was told that an RP06 requires attention to the correct phase connections or it will attempt to spin in the wrong direction, implying that it uses a 3 phase spindle motor.  Or perhaps that was a different RPnn?  Or perhaps it was simply an urban legend?

Paul, that was my belief as well. I knew the RP06 only used 2 out of the
3 phases, but I thought the motor was depending on them.
Anyway, I located the manual, and it turns out that the actual phases
are not important. Yes, it uses 2 phases, but only to get the proper
voltage (or so I gathered from the manual).

You can actually update the drive in the field to run on different types
of power sources. The only thing fixed is frequency, so you cannot move
from 50Hz to 60Hz or back easily.

	Johnny