FYI gmane cctalk group

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Tue Aug 25 02:45:35 CDT 2015

Archive.org was supposed to host these, so the archival is good w/o gmane.

However in googleing and verifying about that, I ran across something
called archive-org.com which is hosted by a "private" registration of
some sort, so I don't know if it has a damn thing to do with archive.org
or not.  It has this list on it already.  And wants me to register to
get an account for access.

If it is a virus bait site for these well meaning "free" archives, that
is precisely why there needs to be authorized archives and not just
anyone who feels like it.

My main concern is that you can find out the history of my email
addresses back to my first one.  The email addresses are not obscured
anywhere in them.  So it is easy if someone wants to harvest email
address right off to do so.

Also I don't necessarily generate my comments here for open archiving
and exploitation, especially by one like the above which seems to be
commercial once you get into it.

Jay isn't going anywhere, and the archives are in good hands for now.
And gmane as I understood it was more of a bridge than an archive at the
start.  With the destruction of usenet archives by google it did
probably keep some amount of that, but there is a huge amount lost in
that transaction, so it isn't necessarily to be trusted that cctalk will
be "interesting".

Also injecting the list into the usenet mess violates any rights the
authors here have in who reads the discussion.  Of course who can chime
in is controlled, but I'm just paranoid enough I'd not like to have all
this firing off into all the usenet  crevasses that I know exist w/o
come control.

Just my $0.02. worth.
Jim