De-yellowing

Ali cctalk at fahimi.net
Sun Aug 23 23:53:58 CDT 2015

> I can believe that the effect is only temporary--the action simply
> cannot go any deeper than a few microns.  All of which goes to show
> that if you want a more permanent color, there's always paint.  I have
> equipment that's made from high-density polyurethane foam (no special
> dies or forms needed for injection molding) finished with a coat of
> paint that's more than 30 years old.  It looks as good as the day it
> was delivered.

Chuck,

I can tell you from personal experience that repainting does not work well. One, matching the color is nearly impossible. You can get pretty darn close but not exact. Two, the paint quality is never as good. Three, the feel is different - this one is hard to explain: it just doesn't feel smooth and slick but rough and scratchy. I have tried different brands of paint, gloss, non-gloss, sealant, etc to no avail. I can make it look good especially from a few feet away but in practice you can easily tell it has been painted.

Just my two cents.

-Ali