HP 5480A, or, obscure HP instruments / was Re: More on manuals plus rescue

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Sat Aug 22 08:14:06 CDT 2015

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015, Jay Jaeger wrote:
> On 8/20/2015 7:11 AM, tony duell wrote:
>>
>>> They reuse numbers for what I call "marketing numbers".  For example,
>>> with a LaserJet 8150dn, the "8150" is a "marketing number" and not the
>>> actual HP product number, which was C4267A.  As far as I know they've
>>> never actually reused a product number.
>>>
>>> I know that's no consolation when you search for "HP 5480" for that
>>> product, and get printers or supplies with that "marketing number"
>>> instead.
>>
>> I get irritated when I search for HP9100 (meaning the first desktop
>> scientific calculator thing) and get hits for some modern-ish
>> printer/scanner. Admittedly that is a 9100C (the calculators were 9100A
>> and 9100B), but...
>
> At least, under Google and eBay, one can add exclusionary terms:
>
> hp 9100 -printer -scanner
>
> Seems to do pretty well under Google.  Under eBay I had to add a lot
> more exclusions, and ran out of room.

With eBay, you can also group them: -(printer,scanner)

It only helps a little though and when eBay eliminated wildcard matching
awhile back, they also reduced the maximum query length. What I /really/
don't like about eBay's current search system, is how it substitutes
keywords internally. If I search for "Compaq", I don't want results for
"HP", and likewise if I search for "HP", I don't want results for
"Compaq"...